View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 04:10 AM
Administrator

Default Strip cards place in the hobby today (question)

Posted By: Strip cards place in the hobby today (questio

Strip cards still have some mystery to them, which isn't really a good thing for investment purposes. If you can get a hold of the uncut strips, then it's a no brainer though.

There's a certain "charm" to them that the slicker cards just don't have. It's a taste thing, but they appear more of their period to me. The paper and inking process are pretty distinct (at least the ones I've owned) making them difficult to fake well - which is a plus.

My guess though - I think we're going to see new batches of these turn up in much crisper shape, and recut using modern equipment. If you're buying for investment, I'd be careful with these. What may seem like a primo card will look second best in a few years. The beaters that seem acceptable because of what's on the market today, probably won't stand out as contendors in a few years. Just a hunch, so take that with a grain of salt.

I prefer Wheaties panels, myself. They're still hand cut but have broader appeal. They're also cheaper, and easier to collect.