View Single Post
Old 11-24-2020, 07:23 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Not sure if I agree with the nostalgia regarding Mantle, Mays, etc. being all that important.

Look at all the collectors here of guys like Wagner, Cobb, Plank, Speaker, and so on. Few people alive today saw these guys play, so there's zero nostalgia effect from personal experience with these players. No reason why collectors of the future won't also eagerly seek Mantle, Mays, and Aaron in the same way.
I collect Speaker because he is a distant cousin (I have a great uncle who is named after Tris, died in Korean War), and I was enamored by that as a 6/7 year old just learning about baseball. Similarly, my wife is distantly related to Enos "Country" Slaughter. It's a way I might affect my son to consider collecting vintage, since Slaughter doesn't seem as difficult or costly to acquire as Speaker at the moment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo