View Single Post
Old 11-23-2020, 12:09 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I don't blame the LCS owners. It is impossible to be expert in everything.

Successful LCS's basically thrive on sales of new unopened product, box breaks of unopened products, and sales of single cards from newer product that they break down in-house and retail. They will price the 2020 Topps Doohickymajig refractor properly but they guess at everything else and often are so busy dealing with the volume of sales and material needed to make a go of modern that they will sell a rare card without researching it, which can be dangerous with a BIN on eBay. Case in point: shortly before COVID, my LCS came across some 1961 Bell Brand Lakers on a walk-in, including a West and a Baylor. For those who don't know the issue, these are painfully rare, very early cards of West and Baylor, and are coveted and extremely valuable to California regional and basketball collectors; in 2014 a West w/o the coupon sold for $5,000 in an H & S auction. In today's basketball market I have little doubt it would be a $10,000 card. He listed them for sale on eBay with BINs at about 10%-15% of actual value, they sold instantly, and he was none the wiser until I asked him WTF he was thinking. Left at least $10,000-$15,000 on the table.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-23-2020 at 12:13 PM.