View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 09:04 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

I think this isn't as uncommon as we'd like to believe. When I lived in Dallas a few years back there were maybe 7-8 shops in the metroplex and pretty much all of them catered to the newer stuff... more volume and the prices are sadly not that much different than vintage. The oldest cards I could come across were 50's-60's and they were always low end mantles, mays, etc. Occasionally, I'd come across a few decent prewar cards but it was rare outside of the monthly show that was humorously at the "Southfork" Hotel... Great shows nonetheless and always some nice vintage items.

I think when it comes to the older stuff it's usually best to deal with other collectors at shows or online. TBH, outside of my interest in vintage, if I owned a shop I would be doing the same thing. So much easier to move cases of prizm and zion rainbows lol than sitting on a 55 clemente for months until a collector of means and knowledge walks in and pays you a fair price. That being said, I live in Cincinnati now and there is an amazing shop that caters to all but it's a rarity.