View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 02:45 PM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

Still stoked over the auto pickup, I also have a couple other items on the way in.
Yesterday this one came in, which ironically is one of my favorite cards of his.

Its actually surprisingly cheap raw. In fact, many of his later issue cards are very cheap ungraded. One would think the '68-'73 cards are more expensive than they are on one of the games greatest, but its not so. These years in particular can be had very modestly, ( obviously raw there can be problems) although a clean '71 will bring a premium because of the dark borders.

1968 Topps All Star

There are plenty of great looking copies of this one to be had reasonably.
Centering can be an issue, but looking around for a bit can easily pay off.
I've always thought he had a bit of a "determined look" on this one, but he often did.
One of my favorite issues, and its well centered, corners are strong and again, great color, but you can't see it as well in this "slightly worn" Card Saver.

I alluded to this before, but this will be behind UV protective glass. Any "help" with colors that really pop is a good thing, and this one is definitely no exception.
Even though I can a bit "OCD" with centering at times, these projects must take overall presentation and colors more seriously.
It really will help the overall appeal when I'm done, and colors help stand out when its "on display".
When you can find a card with strong coloring, overall look/appeal AND decent centering, then its a win-win.

I know not all these cards are "perfect" for whatever reason. But I really think it helps the piece itself if it has a small "bit of wear" here and there.
Makes it look more "real", or true vintage. Sort of gives these some "character", and you can still imagine some young kid opening a pack and discovering these cards~~!
If I wanted perfect razor sharp corners and crystal clear items, I'd probably use reprints......... But I'm not interested in going that route.

Already snagged another item that should be here any day.

Successful deals with - "HCV123"/Howard Chasser, "ejstel" , "mzljapan" , "aronbenabe" , "Santo10Fan" , " Robextend", "rjackson44", "Wanaselja", "eliminator", "Dboneesq" , "Oneofthree67", "Lucas00", "ccre" , "D. Bergin" and several others.