View Single Post
Old 06-05-2022, 02:52 PM
Michael

I have been in the over-priced and over-hyped crowd since I got back into cards in the mid-80s. I figured as those of us who were able to watch him play die out, the demand would drop along with the price. I hadn't counted on it gaining the statue that it has. Nor did I count on the younger generation picking up his mantle, as it were. Also, after almost 45 years of thinking it is over-priced, I'm positive that as soon as I get it, if I do, the price will drop.

I have over almost 700 different Mantle items, with around 60 items on my want list. The '52 Topps tops the list. Unfortunately, I want both versions. Also unfortunately, there are other rarer cards that don't cost as much. I would therefore be more likely to get them as the chance arises.

Lastly, I have tended to not pay as much attention to the auctions since there are so many. And I regret that now. If I had known about the SCP auction, I would have been in play for that Mantle. I may not have gotten it, but it definitely would have gone for more than it did. Congratulations to whoever got it! Also, as someone else said, the price is encouraging. Maybe I'll be able to get both versions in a 4 or 5.

And more lastly, to all you youngsters, stop it!! Let us old-timers get the Mantles. And stay off my grass!!!