View Single Post
Old 06-03-2022, 11:02 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
There was a copy which sold at auction for $3,000 around 1980. It was a mainstream news story which greatly increased the popularity of baseball card collecting.

This was a tremendous amount of amount of money for a card which was (at that point) less than 30 years old. It sent many people scrambling to find their childhood collection, visions of dollar signs dancing in their minds.

The hobby took a meteoric rise throughout the 80s, with this card being top-of-mind for many new collectors. That "first impression" has proven to be quite a lasting one.
I'm not sure if it's the same one, but the shop I hung out at then bought a very nice one for about that much around that time. They had it framed on the wall for a while.

I don't hate the card*, and wouldn't pass one up if the right opportunity came along.(and yes, all you elitist "money is everything" guys for me that would require a miracle)
Is it a cool card that people have decided is THE card? Sure.
I just look at it as a card that's readily available to anyone with enough money. Checkbook collecting doesn't excite me.

What is more cool to me is having a collectible that is more special for reasons other than just being worth a bunch of money. Things that are often a bit obscure, usually too much for them to have a very high value. And my favorites are ones I found and saw what was special about it.

*Seriously, how can you hate a card... I probably like all of them a bit more than I should.