View Single Post
Old 05-06-2014, 01:40 PM
Jay Shelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBBC View Post
There are two things about 2014 Donruss that prevent me from buying.

1.) The way they deal with a lack of license really breaks some very basic design laws. The way they frame certain photographs just makes the cards look very amateurish to me. It irks me because Panini/Donruss clearly know what they're doing design wise--you can tell from their NFL/NBA products.

2.) Diamond Kings should be paintings. Death, taxes, Dick Perez/art on Diamond Kings!

Here's hoping they get a license eventually!

(I'm not writing this to trash your post, I'm glad you enjoyed your breaks and hope you continue buying and enjoying the product!)

1. They do what they have to do to hide player cap fronts, fronts of jerseys, etc. As a graphics designer, believe me, the more you can hide with the particular pose you pick, the less touch-up and "airbrush" work you have to do.
2. I agree, but at least Diamond Kings are back in some format. It's a start.

Per Rich's post; I realize that Topps has the exclusive license for MLB until 2020. That's good information (thanks!) but that is what it is, too. Still like the 2014 Donruss cards better than the 2014 Topps for overall design, etc. Just my opinion. Panini does make a good product, and their 2013 Cooperstown set was/is fantastic, and is less of an issue for depicting the majority of the HOF players without uniform inscriptions/logos, etc. Many didn't have them back then. Been busy (sorry), but will post some Donruss scans tonight.