View Single Post
Old 06-13-2021, 07:40 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post

So what do you do in the case of collecting a set where you know up front there is a card(s) that is so rare or expensive that you'll probably never be able to complete the set? For example, you mentioned working on a T205 set. So what do you do about the Hoblitzell "no stats" variation, which is almost impossible to find, let alone afford? Do you just get one of the more common Hoblitzell variations and consider Hoblitzell off your want list and the set complete without all four of the variations, or do you get all the other 3 more common Hoblitzell variations and just disregard the "no stats" variation in completing the set? Kind of like what some T206 collectors do in considering their sets complete at 218 cards and just ignoring the"big four". Interested to hear how you look at things like that.
I do like to complete sets so I usually only collect sets that I think I can complete. It's probably one of the reasons I haven't ever collected T206s. Since the T205 set can be considered complete at 208 as a basic set without the different variations, I can probably convince myself that I completed it if I eventually get all but a few of the high priced variations, but to be honest it will probably still bug me a little if I don't have them all.