View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 09:42 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
Some good advice so here is my 2 cents. I totally understand the adage "buy expensive cards" but at his age (and I'm sure he is eager to get going) it does not really sound practical.

Ultimately it will be up to your son. He needs to forage. Buy, trade, read books, sell. Peruse NET54 for tons of ideas.

I am close to 50 years old and my first purchase (through the mail) was a T206 Sam Crawford that I bought from "The Trader Speaks" in the 1970s. It was maybe a 2 or a 3 on the grading scale but I will tell you that the $18 I sent through the mail was like a thousand to me since it was all I had at the time. I waited for that card like it was Christmas in July. When it arrived and I saw the colors and held that baby.......well, lets just say I was hooked! Regardless of the condition, at that age, I had to see all conditions to learn about grading and preservation of cards.

It is also healthy to make mistakes as this will build a solid foundation. We all make them but over time, hopefully they will subside.

My opinion and we all have one is to save his $$ each week or two and buy a card or two. Different sets, same set, it does not matter as his interests will change over time and he will eventually find his groove.

Bottom line, is there is no right answer. Try a few different ways and ideas and the light will "click" so to speak. Just this past weekend in Vermont at a local show, I bought 2 different 1933 Goudeys graded a 2 and a 3. The pair cost me $50!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sometimes, the deals will appear out of nowhere. I also buy low grade Goudeys ungraded from time to time and pay around $10 to $15 per and have never bought a fake one or trimmed. To see the difference in real vs reprint have him buy a real Goudey for $15 or so. Have him buy a reprint Ruth say for $2 and when side by side and with the feel of each in his hands, he will know......trust me on this.

Great post. Good luck to him. PM me with your address and your name and I will send him something cool (vintage and real). Au Gratis.

Take care, mike
I think this ^ post is pretty spot on.

As nice as it would be to buy 'nice' prewar cards as a 15 yr old, it's really not practical at all. I mean if he wants to save up for a month or two at a time to get enough cash to buy one card, so be it, but if he is like I was at that age, I wanted cards...and more than one per month. I know they won't be flowing in like crazy either way, but there are plenty of decent looking 1's and 2's floating out there for $15-$25 a pop that your son would be ecstatic over...at least in T205's and T206's.

I don't think your son can go wrong with whatever way he wants to collect...I mean, that's a lot of the fun...being able to pave your own way to collecting and not really be forced one way or the other. As far as condition goes, I've learned to appreciate the aged look on my vintage cards...really adds character to them. Sometimes it can be hard going from modern to vintage because most modern cards are Mint or bust.

My advice would be to buy some low grade...maybe a few graded and a few raw to see what he prefers. If it looks untrimmed, go with that or ask someone with enough knowledge to help out. For T206's, most commons in poor condition go for comparable prices with trimmed examples, so he won't be losing out even if it is trimmed.

I wish your son the best of luck collecting, even if he goes back to modern...I actually collect some modern and love it! Vintage and prewar is not for everyone...just remember that To each his own.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48