View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 09:37 PM

Kevin...

From your posting, it's obvious you have a fine relationship with your son.

Others have made a number of excellent suggestions. I would especially agree that a Type collection would introduce Conner to what the cards actually look and feel like, and could make an exceptional display - if that appeals to him.

In the end, of course, it comes down to personal preference and budget. For me, creases do not trouble as much as ink-on-front . Frankly, creases give the old cards character.

T205's in fair or so condition still retain the essence of the card and provide a great look at deadball era baseball. (The bio's on the back really are a plus for me and the player selection represents the time well.) T205's carry many of the features of today's cards: color, interesting biographies, facsimile autographs (on the NL'ers) and "gold" borders.

Another possible avenue which is still affordable (though not nearly as appealing to most as colorful cards like T205's) is the Exhibit card. Large format (postcard size) and available (at least post 1938) at quite reasonable prices, one can put together quite a representative collection for not too much money. Again, if creases are acceptable, the prices are even more tempting.

This is a great hobby. I hope you and your son stick with it.

Last edited by SteveMitchell; 08-04-2014 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Correct a typo