Thread: Scanner
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2022, 05:43 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati View Post
My Canon 5600F unfortunately no longer works with the software on my new Macbook.
If you're happy with your old scanner, rather than buying a new one, check out Vuescan scanning software. Their main hook is that they maintain and update drivers for darn near every piece of scanning hardware and enable them to work with current OS's, both for Windows and macOS (and Linux).

And it's got a LOT more settings that you can adjust and tweak to get the most out of your hardware than any out-of-the box scanning software I've seen bundled with any scanner. I've gone through several versions of Windows, and several models of scanners, and still going strong. The only time I've had to discard a scanner was when I literally wore it out.

Currently have running a Canon CannoScan 9000 as my go-to for photos, comics, and anything with depth to it, but am also set up with a Nikon SuperCoolscan 5000 for 35mm film, an Epson V700 for larger film, and a Mustek A3 for larger-than-8.5x11 flat items (doesn't do depth well though), and able to switch seamlessly between scanners and media type by saved settings within the software.

If you're concerned one of the highly-recommended scanner models won't work with your computer, or your OS has updated and no longer supports your old tech, it's worth checking out. They have a trial version that puts a watermark in the scan but should allow you to test your setup, and if you do buy it, it's a lifetime license that is reusable as you move on to other computers and/or scanners.