View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 07:46 AM
Dan Marke1

Default The Fast and the Furious 6 (should be entitled, "The Absurd and the Ridiculous")

Yesterday my family and I went to see The Fast and the Furious 6. I never saw the prior five movies and I wondered if I would be at a disadvantage of following the plot of the sixth movie. Some of my family members assured me I should have no problem catching up on what this movie would be about.

The movie is filled with action scenes, including fights, car chases and explosions. As these scenes progressed, the utter absurdity of so many nearly physically impossible stunts quickly turned the movie into a side-splitting campy comedy for me such as Vin Diesel getting shot in the shoulder and casually pulling out a pristine bullet with a pair tweezers in the following scene and physically carrying on as if nothing happened. But it even gets funnier, with stunts such as jumping out high speed cars and airplanes. Perhaps the most ridiculous scene had to be where the stars were chasing the bad guys in a military transport airplane on a airport runway. The scene lasted at least 15 minutes. If the plane was going 100 mph on the runway, that means the runaway was at least 25 miles long.

When our family had dinner after the movie, we talked about all of this, and basically came to the conclusion that Hollywood studios really have no choice to do this - especially with so many Super Heroe movies. Sadly, we concluded, the action movie genre has become of a victim of its own success.