View Single Post
Old 10-05-2015, 03:04 AM

Default c1895 Connecticut H.S. Football Broadside P/U

photo Yale Cup_zpsetaxqzmc.jpg

photo Bridgeport High PC 2_zpscbv28uqn.jpg

Picked up this little jewel today and I'm really happy with it, even though it's high school...the blue color is a bonus...and it has the all important year!!!...Can't find anything on the internet about the game...probably have to get ahold of a historical society to look up the newspaper story on microfilm...I can only assume at this point the "Tie Game" means it was a playoff of a prior tied game...and it appears they tied again from the 4 to 4 score written in...To a card collector the condition would probably be unacceptable...but the broadside is a different animal completly...By their very nature they were subject to harsh treatment from being hung outdoors...So it's only natural for them to be beat up...finding a cardstock one this big 22 inches by 14 inches from 1895 is a very rare find...For the few that were saved most got banged up and tossed over time...

This is only the second HS broadside I ever owned...the other is for a "west coast" championship between a San Francisco HS and a Seattle HS...took place like 7 months after the 06' earthquake...So now I've got both coasts covered for championship HS games!

photo 22.75 x 14 inch_zpso48ht4gr.jpg

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 10-06-2015 at 01:16 PM.