View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Default Makes me want to go raw

Posted By: T206Collector

<<"At the top, all 10's will look the same"

Not sure that is true, at least with some types of cards. For example, with N172's, I didn't think a card's photo contrast figured into the mix. So you can have a card slab a 10 with essentially horrible eye appeal. >>

If you show me two 10's that look different, you've only got one 10. If one has worse photo contrast than the other, than it is by definition not a perfect card warranting a 10.

<<While I know its been said many times, while I appreciate a grade reflects how a card measures up to technical defined criteria, in the end those criteria should be chosen and weighted such that the end result roughly approximates market value.>>

How can you buy into my point about using grading to objectively determine flaws and then seek to tie grading weights to market value? When 2's sell for more than 7's that has NOTHING to do with grading and everything to do with subjective taste. When you hold a 7 and a 2 those numbers objectively tell you a lot about both cards. They do not, and more importantly, are not intended to tell you which one is more valuable -- even if there is typically a direct correlation between numerical grade and value.

<<When 2's can sell for more than 7's (as can be the case with blank-backed photographic cards such as many "N" issues), perhaps it's time the grading companies re-examined their criteria.>>

Again, why? The grading company is just telling you what they see as flaws in the card. If the collecting public does not agree that certain flaws warrant a substantial discount on retail value, then the public makes its decision in an educated fashion.

Grading should not be in the business of applying any subjective criteria to the card's grade. The point is to provide as much objective information about a card in order to allow the purchaser the ability to make the best decision possible.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com for Net54 T206 archive, signed deadball card galleries, articles and more!