View Single Post
Old 01-23-2023, 01:37 PM
D@n Di.Pao.la

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
I've never dealt with it before. But I'm curious if you could give us a little more color here. Where do you live? Is it an area that is particularly moist/humid? Did you have any water that got into your storage area, like from a leaky roof?

It's certainly something that I'm a bit paranoid about. Since I live in Portland, OR, it's certainly a possibility, and something I want to make sure to avoid.
Live on the San Diego coast....so about as perfect weather as you can get. Pretty much between 60-80 all year. Entire house has new HVAC and was re-built from the studs about 2.5 years ago.

Had three ways I moved stuff from my old place to the new place:

1 - 2 large PODS containers (mostly household goods) which I can imagine after 18 months caused most of the damage to the furniture

2 - Large temperaature controlled storage unit (15Lx12Wx12H) which is where most of the cards were held for 18 months and anything of considerable value was in storage bins

3 - Remaining clothes/household stuff/cards were with me in temporary housing

Noticed the mold about a year after moving in and started with shoes and couches ...then binders...some clothes. The furniture that was in the PODS was all that was affected...and I am guessing the super spreader of the problem. Also as might be expected the rooms that got the least amount of sun/activity got hit the worst. I don't want to paint an awful picture....but it was enough to be slightly concerned. that and even after deep cleans I'll see a hint in some of the same rooms months later.

For the record...have not seen any issues with cards and have no water or moisture issues in the house ....at all.

Have mostly seen it affect clothes and leather-ish type materials.

Last edited by isiahfan; 01-23-2023 at 06:55 PM.