View Single Post
Old 01-17-2023, 09:04 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflayank View Post
They raised the minimum price to $75
With extremely few exceptions, who is going to send in armour, salada,shirriff,or topps. coins
Customer service has no answer
Hmmm, interesting development Larry. I have a number of pins and coins myself, but really don't care if they're graded or not, and have certainly never sent any in for grading.

So do you, or anybody out there, know which of the what I'll call the "Big Four" grading companies (PSA, SGC, CSG, & Beckett), also grade and encapsulate coins and/or pins then? In all my years of collecting pins and coins, I don't seem to remember seeing anyone besides PSA grading such items. And if not, the price increase may likely be due, at least in part, to the costs and efforts of them even bothering to acquire and stock the special slabs needed for all the different pins and coins they grade. Also, I can't imagine the number of pins and coins they do receive for grading is very significant, so the time and effort (and cost) required to keep staff around that even know much about them and how to truly authenticate and grade them, may be factoring in as well. Plus, we know all for-profit businesses operate to make money, and if there appears to be no other real competition out there, they can charge pretty much what they want then, and see who will still be willing to pay for it. Think about it, if you could make as much money, or even more, while doing less work, wouldn't you?

And does this price increase cover or seem to have any effect on pre-war items as well, like Sweet Caporal P2 Pins, PX7 Double Header Coins, or Sweet Caporal Domino Discs? Or is this price increase just for more modern, post-war pins and coins?

Last edited by BobC; 09-27-2023 at 06:28 PM.