Thread: Latest Pickups
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2022, 04:45 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Pretty happy to add these to my humble little collection. I started picking up Red Suns about a year ago, and am up to 28 different cards now. I still don't think I will ever complete it due to the Johnson that probably isn't worth to me what it is to someone else, but I will be satisfied with as many as I can put together here. The back designs are great, and that most of the cards are photo repeats of the T218 issue that is my pet set makes it a fun complement. The misspelling of the series name bugs me just a little bit, but it's probably good they didn't fix it and give me another 50 variations to chase.

Some were interesting, and one is a benefit of cracking out. The Jimmy Walsh card does not appear to have the layer of gloss that even beater Red Suns have. Upon close examination under magnification, I can find no trace of it at all, which is a first. Not sure if this card missed the layer during production or was printed on different glossless stock, or it has lost it all to time.

I don't much care about condition, but I do mark in my collection spreadsheets cards I believe to be altered, in case I ever end up with a dupe and then have one for trade. I am not a fan of the graders, but usually find that while they miss tons of alterations, those they mark as A almost always are. I'm confused on these though. The Loughrey and Nelson both have a piece of scotch tape on the back to strengthen the crease, but the Loughrey is oversized and I can find no evidence of trimming on close examination of either card, or recoloring (which I am by no means on expert on). Does SGC consider this scotch tape an alteration? Perhaps it's a me thing and I've just always considered tape a "1" grade, but not altered/authentic.

Finally, there is a big "13" stamp on the back of the Wolgast that looks really, really familiar and I am sure I have seen before.

I don't recall seeing Richard Merkin before, but I like his taste.

If anyone wants to buy the slips at 10% of the card price, DM me . More seriously, I messed up my list and now have a duplicate Eddie Walsh, so I'm not cracking him out. If the underbidder happens to be a member and still wants it, slide into my DM's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2013.jpg (199.6 KB, 338 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2014.jpg (205.2 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2016.jpg (198.3 KB, 337 views)

Last edited by G1911; 09-23-2022 at 04:46 PM.