Thread: Carlton World
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2022, 09:57 PM

Default Auburn & Wright Indian Motorcycle Spark Plug Crate

I just received these two piece and unpacked them the other day…The wooden crate is from about 1913 era…The Auburn & Wright company was subsidiary of the New York Mica & Manufacturing Company…as indicated on the viewers left side of the crate (see N. Y. M & M Co.)…Mica was a mineral used in making spark plugs similar to porcelains use in that it acted as an insulator…

I got this out of an auction with a ton of great motorcycle memorabilia….pennants, jerseys, posters, about a dozen helmets, and all sorts of great stuff…there was a lot of things I’d have liked to have gotten but I had to decide what had priority…after studying everything carefully I decided this crate was the end all and I had to have it…Auburn & Wright appear to have been around from about 1913 to 1917….that was right when motorcycle racing was just taking off…So I knew this crate was an incredible piece of history and to just let the other stuff go…It’ll go perfect with my motorcycle stuff…

I bid on four items in the auction...the crate, and this Cromwell racing helmet…Of all the helmets…and there were some great ones…This one stood out for me because of the number and name on it and the blue color was unique…I lost a footboard to an Excelsior…and a v cool flat track hot shoe with worn red paint…