Thread: Carlton World
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2021, 02:07 AM

Default Back-Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
Carlton.......I'm a huge racing fan and that 1911 panoramic is incredible. What's the backstory on it? Where did you find it? I love the 3 distant cars coming down the front stretch with a cloud of dust being kicked up behind them....and of course, the whole track surface back then consisted of bricks, hence the 'Brickyard' nickname. Great stuff!
Hi Matt...thanks for your interest in the1911 Indy 500 pano...Below I copy and paste a facebook post I did shortly after receiving it...

COPIED FROM A 2019 FACEBOOK POST:
http://www.sportsantiques.com/golf_stuff.htm
The Lord blessed me with some really great pieces recently….A few years ago a guy from Atlanta emailed me asking if I wanted to sell a rare Bobby Jones golf poster that I got back in 1994…I think he’s a neurosurgeon…I wasn’t interested and declined…about a month ago he emailed again wanting to buy it…again I essentially said thanks but no thanks…and that was it...just a courteous exchange…

I guess I had a lot on my plate and wasn’t thinking…because I remember about a week later it dawned on me I didn’t ask him if he had anything for sale…which you always want to do when you meet a fellow collector…it’s called shaking the bushes…So I emailed him back the following:

Sent: Friday, March 29, 2019 4:02 PM
Subject: Bobby Jones exhibition poster
Hello again sir…By the way…tell me about your collection…would like to see some photos…do you just collect Golf?...attached a recent pickup…
-carlton

So he writes back that he just collects golf but had some pieces in storage…One was this NASCAR sign…said he got it out of Leland’s about 10 years ago....said he saw it while looking for golf stuff in the back of the catalog...and as much that he knew it was important and got it…plus he told me about two other racing pieces he had…two large panoramic photos of the Indianapolis 500 race…one for the very first race in 1911….the other for the second race in 1912…I got the 1911 pano and the NASCAR sign….

The guy told me the frame was later…but when I got it I could see it was about same period as the photo c1911…and the glass is wavy…which is a big deal with me…and on the NASCAR…wow…I sort of have a piece of the old south….as NASCAR was sort of born out of good’ol boys running moonshine…has very southern roots…This sign must have traveled with the NASCAR emergency crew from track to track…NASCAR started in the late 1940’s and I think this sign is from the early 1950’s…extremely rare….I doubt there is another one…

https://lelands.com/bids/the-first-i...otograph--1911

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 12-09-2021 at 02:39 AM.