View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 03:16 PM
Matt Ferroni

Default Beckett Price Guide 2 Columns in PSA terms??

Ok, I know there will never be a true answer to this from Beckett because PSA is a competing card grading company but considering PSA is the dominant player in vintage grading - does anyone have an idea of what PSA grade the 2 columns in a Beckett price guide reflect? Even the Beckett website has this convoluted answer of Lo and Hi where Hi would be the trade value (or price at a retail shop) and Lo would be the cash price (or price at a card show). HUH?

In full disclosure, I subscribe to Beckett Vintage Collector which I love mainly for the incredible articles (sounds like the 1980s bachelor justifying a Playboy subscription) and love looking at the color auction adds with beautiful cards I will never own. I use PSA completed auction data generally for accurate price comps but have lately been interested more in the price guide to get an idea of the value of certain cards I may want to look into.

So leads me back to the columns. Considering my most valuable card - 1960 Topps Mantle #350, which I keep a very close eye on, this month lists it as $500/$1000 which basically correlates to PSA 5/PSA 6. Seems like such a narrow range for grades. Another example T206 commons listed as $50/$100 which to me seems more like PSA 3/PSA 4. Maybe it is a moving target considering how old the set is and likelihood of higher grades?