View Single Post
Old 04-19-2024, 12:32 PM
Todd Schultz

I think it likely that Brunners and Fleischmann stopped after 1912, since their sets lack the blacked-out team info, and it would be less effective to market the identical 25 cards in following years. I also thought 1913 may have been skipped altogether because of the Evers blacked-out card in all of these sets (Weber unknown), which would not have been made until 1914. However, the author of the OC article states that the Frank Chance can be found with or without the team blackout in General Baking, which suggests multiple printings for that set that may have spanned two or more seasons. Maybe this is limited to General Baking, which was not tied to any particular bakery and thus could have been issued in multiple areas.
Finally, as for Billy Kelly, a look at some of the newspapers of the time shows that he and Marty O'Toole were practically joined at the hip from their days in St. Paul to the big leagues-- it was even hinted that O'Toole would not be sold to the many teams bidding on him unless Kelly was part of the deal, and the catcher was given loads of credit for his battery mate's success. This could explain why Kelly was included at the time. He was dumped by the Pirates in November 1913, however, which would not explain his inclusion in a 1914 release. He was initially dealt to Toronto in November but shortly thereafter landed in Newark, which could explain the New Jersey Bakeries' desire to keep him in the set, although one might have thought his team name would have been blacked out.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 04-19-2024 at 12:40 PM.