Thread: Cobb vs. Ruth
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2004, 12:28 AM
Administrator

Default Cobb vs. Ruth

Posted By: Scott Elkins

If I am correct - Cobb STILL holds the AL record for total bases in a game with 16 as well (of course there are some NL players who have hit 4 HR's in a game - I don't know the NL record for total bases - I did see the game years ago when Bob Horner hit 4 HR's. It wasn't televised, but the Turner Channel played the game delayed so people could see Bob Horner hit the 4 HR's).

You have to remember, Cobb was a "Deadball" player. He was not use to playing HR ball. Cobb was also intelligent (as proven by his stock purchases). Cobb probably liked to "out-think" opponents. Like hitting a single and stealing 2nd, then stealing 3rd, and finally stealing home!

I stated in the message title the story is true - I don't know that for a fact and can't prove it. However, I do know Cobb had a 16 total base game. AND, if anyone who could have a .366+ lifetime batting average told me he could hit the ball where he wanted (over the fence or a bunt down the first base line), I would HAVE to believe him!

Also, I don't think Cobb was "Jealous" of Ruth. I think he was just mad that some people thought Ruth to be greater than him. But, Ruth wasn't! And, as Cobb would say, "Ruth couldn't hold his jockey strap!". If you don't believe me that Cobb was greater, just look at the game of Baseball today. Players like Sosa, McGwire and Bonds who hit 60 and 70 plus HR's in a season - far more than Ruth, and McGwire hit them more frequently. NOBODY has hit over .400 since Ted Williams - Cobb did it THREE seasons!

Like I stated earlier - don't know for certain that Cobb said he was swinging for the fences. BUT, IF TY COBB SAID IT, HE COULD DO IT!