View Single Post
Old 09-10-2021, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963Topps Set View Post
I’d rather have it signed in ball point pen for a vintage look
I agree. Modern Sharpie is too glaring and out of place on vintage newsprint. You do run the risk of tearing fragile newsprint with the relative sharpness of a ballpoint, however.

If you're having a 1970's-80's newspaper signed and the newsprint does seem a bit fragile, I'd suggest doing a bit of experimentation with a soft-tipped flair pen--the type with a thicker felt tip rather than the thinner, sharp point. These markers were period to the era and might look good and will be bold. I'd go with a purple flair if you can find one, as that color was quite popular back then and would be a great throwback. It's also nice and bold without being too "in your face" like when fresh blue or black Sharpie is applied to older newsprint. Apply a small amount that nobody else will notice o a discreet area of the same newspaper and see how it adheres. If it bleeds, hold off. All of this cheap, pulpy type of paper will react differently depending on many factors, including the condition the paper has been subjected to over the decades. You could easily get different reactions to ink application on two copies of the same paper if one was stored in a balmy climate versus Alaska, for instance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter 3661.jpg (2.6 KB, 90 views)