View Single Post
Old 03-12-2022, 04:58 AM

Default Ryan vs. Ventura fight lineup cards 1993

Not meaning to hijack this great thread about players being unwilling to sign certain specific cards, but I thought some might find this interesting...

Although Robin Ventura has absolutely shown reluctance to sign photos of the infamous Ryan vs. Ventura fight on 8/4/1993, I have been fortunate to get him to sign my game used umpire and dugout lineup cards from that game.

FWIW, I suppose it's not hard to imagine why, because the entire incident is likely a lowlight in an otherwise quality career in the major leagues.
It's certainly an out-of-character moment for someone who has the reputation as being one of the good guys in baseball...

The umpire lineup card was signed by completely covering the card with cardboard and only leaving the space where he was to sign.
The dugout card was signed a few years ago at a private signing in Los Angeles along with a game used Ventura bat from 1993.

On Rich Reese not being willing to sign his 1965 Topps card that said Dick Reese, he frequently actually signed his name "Dick Reese" early in his career.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 03-12-2022 at 03:13 PM.