View Single Post
Old 02-09-2020, 07:11 AM

I have been following this thread for a week now, and only now am I able to form my opinion on the subject matter: Unless you are looking to sell the card in the relative short term, current “best value” is irrelevant.

I am long on the cards I own, which means I consider where I think value will be in the relatively distant future. Under these circumstances, I have confidence in T206s generally, and Cobb, Young, Wajo, and Matty, specifically, bc they are absolute studs. I also believe that Tinker-Evers-Chance as well as Speaker, Lajoie and E Collins will have continued appeal; this is not only bc they were great players, but also because they are from big markets and historic teams and/or have a unique lore that transcends their career (Tinker-Evers—Chance poem; 1933 Goudey Lajoie, etc).

I think players like Walsh, Waddell, Joss, Bender, Baker, etc. will have on-again, off-again appeal, and if you time the market right, you could make a few bucks. But I am not a gambler and am not interested in timing the market. I would rather go with the “sure thing” (or as close as it exists in cards). To me, that means Cobb, Young, Wajo and Matty, as well as rare backs on higher-end HOFers.

Note, this post assumes Wagner and Plank are non-factors for the OP, although I believe both are tremendous longterm investments.