View Single Post
Old 12-13-2021, 01:12 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballcrazy62 View Post
Had the pleasure to meet Brian today at a LCS and had him sign a bat for me. Another former Tiger for the collection. Brian was a 2 sport star at Stanford. In addition to playing baseball ( 2 x CWS Champ) he started a handful of games for the Cardinal football team.
We Giants fans love Brian Johnson! Mention "the Brian Johnson game" to any long time Giants fan and they will know you're talking about 9/18/97....10 games to go in the season, playing the hated Dodgers and trailing them in the standings by a game...Giants take a 5-1 lead but the Dodgers tie it and it goes into extras...Rod Beck gives up three straight singles in the 10th but strikes out Todd Zeile and gets Eddie Murray to ground into a DP with the bases loaded....Brian Johnson leads off the bottom of the 12th and wins the game with a HR through a howling Candlestick wind! Brian kept the Giants in first place with another 9th inning HR @ Colorado, a few days later. Giants won the 1997 NL West after a terrible 1996 season.

I will only collect Giants player bats if they are from their time with the Giants. These Glomars are interesting....Glomar was one of the first small bat companies to be approved by MLB when nearly everyone was using either a LS or Rawlings. Glomar's founder named the company for his two kids...Gloria and Mario. BTW, Brian Johnson has a great signature, unlike the Mike Trouts of today. I had a silver paint pen ready for the Media Guide, but it failed and we had to go with the sharpie. Brian was very patient while I tried, unsuccessfully, to get the paint pen going.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-12-13 03.45.53.jpg (77.5 KB, 479 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-12-13 03.46.03.jpg (75.2 KB, 470 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-12-13 03.46.17.jpg (73.8 KB, 478 views)