View Single Post
Old 01-02-2022, 07:16 AM

Congrats!

I see many of the stamped backs( I believe all are unique, only one stamped card of each player). The type 2 Tenney is only the second type 2 with a stamp I have seen. It also provides further proof that these stamped cards were done after the fact, as the type 2's were almost invariable cut from some type of packaging and this would have been impossible to stamp on the inside the package.

Also, if one wants to get another to level, most of the E107's can be found with wide and narrow captions at the bottom. I believe they were put out in 1903 and 1904 and perhaps longer using the different font. It is also possible there were different merchants using them and not just Breisch-Williams(whose only connection is the stamped back). The blank backs and 150 Series might have been used by different products and issued at different times.

Also of note, most of the known E107's can be traced back to a very few original collections via their backs, many as seen here have the two spots of paper loss of red paper still adhered, another known group of blank backs have the team penciled down the middle, yet another have the shadows from photo mounts, a fourth all have a sign of album mounting/paste residue and disturbance. A fifth group also has penned notations at the top(not Buck Barkers notes, which are also found on these). Another sizable group has a very lightly erased number in the upper left back corner. Lastly like the Wagner you are selling and the Doyle type 2 in the group, a small group have paper adhered from an old book or magazine that they were glued into.

I have forgotten a bit more, but these are just a few of my recollections while attempting this set 15-20 years ago, during which I handled well over 1,000 E107's.

Lots of answers to questions which will probably never be known.

Last edited by sb1; 01-02-2022 at 07:27 AM.