View Single Post
Old 11-22-2022, 01:33 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
This would be a very new definition of a unique card that has never before been accepted or used. Almost all Topps checklists have this difference from their DP’ing. We do not consider the base Topps set version to require 2 of the Marichal checklists, that have the exact same variation from being printed in 2 series with a different border design. We consider a base 1968 Topps set to be 598 cards. Variations are not unique cards, they are a variant you need for a master set, but they are not an entirely different card. I have both for my set because I like variations, but the Marichal checklist is a single card with multiple variations, just like every other variation card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
The MB Marichal checklists are from the same series. The MB’s are a single series issue. It is the same picture, the same list, the same card number, in a 1 series release.
We are not likely to agree that these two Marichal cards in the MB set are unique cards. With Topps simply using complete rows from previous sheets to create the MB set, in this case the two rows with Marichal cards are from different series, it is tough to call them DPs based on their origin or difference in appearance. As this MB "series" was assembled by using rows from previous issues, it may be best to view each row as being unique in itself. I view the Marichal cards each being a part of a unique row of 11 cards that was taken from either a 1st or 2nd series sheet. So, with this "issue", no row is DP.

My point previously is that this MB set is unique compared to any regular issue set. I agree with DPs from the same series occurring in regular Topps issues. However, if you try to apply the conventional interpretation of a DP to the MB set, you will end up with many DPs.

There are numerous cards that have the same card #s in this single "series", albeit they originate from different issues....so even though many cards have the same card number, but the cards are different on the front/back (like the Marichal checklists), are these also DPs based on the conventional DP definition? .....of course not.

This set is unique and applying traditional Topps DP rules to it doesn't work.

Again, enjoy collecting it however you choose.