View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Zenithium now lists a "master" set at 400. He came up with 4 blackless cards that had minor print difference , for example a red spot on the cap of Forsch. I have one of his "variations" to the set, and pointed out that in putting the set together I have found other print flaws in some of my blackless cards, but he was convinced the 4 he had found were "neccessary" if you wanted a master set. I do not know if anyone has his master set. I have settled for the base set, plus one
I do not agree that the 4 "Zenithum variations" are in fact actual variations. If we treated such things as variations, than (as an example) the "master" Topps 1952 set would have 16,512 cards including the 37 Mantle "variations".

I consider the blackless set to be complete at 396 which means that my 1982 "master" set will be complete at 1,193 cards.

Al - I agree that the A type cards are easier than the B and C type, which are both harder to find, but neither more than the other. I have found C type cards slightly harder to get only because the sellers tend to want more money for them, and I tend to be a bit on the cheap side.

I'm still slightly conflicted about this set, because by my general definition of a variation, the entire set qualifies as a printing error, not an actual variation, so even though I intend to complete the set, I have a real hard time spending money that would be better spent on 1953 Bowman black & white cards (my newest endeavor).

Doug