View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
A double printing, from different locations on the sheet qualifies as a different printing, by my definition.

Doug
I think of a different printing as coming from a different mask, or different plate, or run at a different plant. Just one of those things where even a simple attempt at a definition has a lot of room for interpretation.

The Mask is the group of negatives assembled on opaque paper that's used to expose the plates.

To answer ALRs questions by my thinking
Spahn 59 and trade/option cards - variation, different mask,and hence different plate and printing.
58 yellow letters 69 white letters - Variation, different mask again
59 sullivans - at least 2 are variations, it would be really unusual for a print problem to eliminate the circle without also affecting the c. I hate to say impossible, but nearly so. The missing period is a bit tougher to figure, but it's probably not just a defect.
62 greens - variations for sure, probably printed at two different times. I'm not positive, but I believe some of the listed variations will be only normal, and some only green.
80 yellows /pryor - probably errors. I haven't seen one in hand, but it looks like a color got missed. I wasn't aware of them till I just looked them up. Time to check the set.
73 manager cards - Variations, once you look close, they're more different that it seems at first glance.
90 no name Thomas - A tough one to figure. I've only seen one, and it struck me as an error because the black was missing over an area that looked like a torn bit of paper got in the way. But that sort of thing usually happens once and then the next sheet gets a black printed area where ink has soaked into the paper assuming it stayed on the plate or blanket. That there are multiples of it makes me think that it's a scrap of paper that got between the mask and plate during exposure. Probably found and replaced very quickly.

The 82 blackless are a missing color error, just missing the black which was printed last.

91 Topps is totally insane. The big batch I had also yeilded a misprint I thought I'd never see, partial wrong backs. Not the off center ones that turn up from time to time, but Manager cards with the redish background being from a players card. So the black was correctly printed on a sheet that had the wrong red back. If anyone collects unlisted 91 Topps variations I'd be interested in comparing lists.

I also collect unusual marks that come from wear on the plates, usually scratches.

Steve B