View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Al Richter

Default Variations

I have 3 version of the 52 Campos---regular back, black star and regular back with missing upper left front border ( which was highlighted in a recent SCD article.) The latter is a print defect. Is the black star a print defect ?

To be a variation does the card have to be intentionally changed to correct a defect ( the Spahn 59 DOBs), or to update the card ( the 59 trade/ option cards) ? Are the yellow letter 58s defects or variations ? The 69 white letters ? Is the 59 Ramos on ebay now just an error ? ( I have one so it is not unique). Are the 3 59 Sullivans all defects or is one a variation ? Are the 62 greenies variations or just a second print run by a second production company ? The 80 yellows and the no name Pyor from the same year ? The 73 Manager cards ?. The number of differences/variation in the 91 set is staggering. The 90 No Name Thomas and related cards missing some black ink ? The 82 Blackless are clearly a print defect, but they made it into the SCD Catalog

If they end up in the SCD catalog, I get them ( although unfortunately I have stayed a bit beyond it in some cases ) Having completed all the Topps sets, it is how I get my collector amusement these days. When they make it into the Catalog, they often then make it into the Registry. If they get there, a lot of people want them, whatever they are. Mr Lemke can break a lot of hearts