View Single Post
Old 03-28-2023, 03:50 PM
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Of course, I don’t know the answer to this. But I do know prices have gone up regularly and steadily over the 40 years I have been collecting, despite the fact that every person who saw and remember the t206 players has been dead for decades. I believe that trend will continue.

Vintage Vern, you can play with your cars. I will play with my cardboard. Time will tell who is right.
Unfortunately I don't have any cars to play with. I wasn't afforded the luxury of getting them for a song and a dance 40 to 50 years ago. My dad passed away at 59 and my mom had to sell what he had to live, so I got nothing passed down.The car hobby has been lost to investments over hobby, and it started in the late 80s. The people that hold them want more than most can afford or many don't have the appeal of what people want today. This is happening with every aspect of life for most along with the hobbies that all become investments when big pockets take over.

My parents bought a house for the same money I can buy a top of the line TV for today. My cell phone bill is more than the cost they had for the entire month of living expenses. Cars will always be here same as cards, but less people can afford them. The market will always fade. I'll put it this way. If I could afford to build a show car like my dad was able to do it wouldn't be from the same era of vehicles, same with my son. We may all have the same interest, but wouldn't be the same type of cars. Cards will also follow this path for the most part. I doubt if you where just starting out today with today's prices your outlook would be the same. Its not a buy low sell high type of thing in today's market. Its buy high hope it goes higher. It will for the big fish, but that's about it. Some people are forgetting they started this trend that are posting here 40 50 60 years ago. To say new blood will keep this thing going is a hard sell in my opinion. A big reason is the amount you will get, to what they will have to pay to keep it as popular. Our own greed is a huge part of the problem. It turns a hobby into an investment.

Last edited by Vintage Vern; 03-28-2023 at 04:24 PM.