View Single Post
Old 12-07-2020, 05:29 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

About 12 years ago or so, I developed my own proprietary system to identify, categorize, and evaluate photographs.

I will not go into all the details, but when it came to coordinating photos into date categories (the “when” a print was made), I had to implement some assumptions, like all others do who evaluate photos.

I do this by designating photos into “Printing Eras,” and I do that with the following designations and descriptions;

Printing Era:

IP” (for “Initial Print”): These are prints that which upon thorough examination of the photograph, and research of its provenance, renders an expert opinion that the print was developed and/or published within 6 Months of when the photograph was originally taken. This category includes things like the original artwork used for contemporaneous publication, and vintage contact prints stored in the original magazine’s file, etc…

I created this category because there are photos that can be determined with high confidence to be produced for use or distribution at that time and/or are “THE” Original Art for some publication or use. These photos are rare, sometimes unique, and desirable, and deserve a designation that nobody else is currently giving them. This would benefit less experienced collectors as well as bring out the true value.

Meanwhile, I believe the market has determined that “Initial Prints” are the most valuable and sought after photographs relative to other vintage and non-vintage prints.

FPE” (for “First Printing Era”): These are prints developed within 10 Years of photographs originally taken prior to 1920, and within 5 Years of photographs taken in 1920 or later. All IP’s are FPE’s, but not all FPE’s are IP’s.

SPE” (for “Second Printing Era”): These are prints developed beyond the First Printing Era but within 20 Years of when the photograph was taken.

LP” (for “Later Printing”): These are prints developed more than 20 Years after the photograph was taken.

NV” (for “Not Vintage”): Like “Later Prints,” these are prints developed more than 20 Years after the photograph was taken, but are so recent as to have no current market value beyond display.

This is just my system for dating.

Without having actually observed in person the Conlon Photo under discussion, but taking into account what the experts are saying here, along with the very highly respected opinion of Henry Yee, I would refer to the photo as:

Original Negative | First Printing Era or ON | FPE

Simple as that.

Robert Slatkin