View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Hank Thomas

How do all the overpriced dealers stay in business? Are there that many "greater fools" out there that keep them going and make their seemingly untenable business model work? Their deep-pocket customers go to shows but can't be bothered checking eBay or auctions or price guides? Really? You're telling me there's enough of these "fools" around to make it worthwhile for the dealers to keep doing show after show? Really? I hate dragging the same inventory around for more than a few shows. I will lower the price or blow things out in the little auctions rather than have to look at them for more than three or four shows, unless it's such a great piece that I know it's just a matter of time before the right collector comes along to will pay my price. Some dealers seem to feel that way about everything in their booth. How do they do it? It seems to me they're the ones killing shows. In the good old days, you could go to shows and come back with a bunch of stuff and feel good about what you paid for it. Now dealers seem scared to death that they might have given somebody a good deal. God forbid. Sorry to miss the show--I signed up but events precluded. And from what Dan said, I guess there'll never be another one. Oaks will forever be known as the show that flushed Leon and John M. and other elusive hobby legends out from their man-caves. Fun while it lasted.
Hank Thomas