View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 05:14 PM
Frank Wakefield

Pujols and Maddux seem sensible choices.

Yaz and B Robinson seem to be more generally accepted as bigger stars, but I think that in 20 years and thereafter, both Pujols and Maddux will be considered as bigger stars.

I saw Mike Schmidt play. Several times in person, and a bunch of times on television; and probably listened to about 150 of his games on a radio. He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame in my opinion, and more so than some subsequent inductees. He was great in the field. He was respected, he had a strong arm and could hit a ball a long way. But his lifetime average was in the .260s, he lead the league in strikeouts 4 seasons. My recollection of his at bats was having the sense that something was about to happen. There were usually consequences to him being at the plate... a home run was realistically possible, no matter the pitcher. Hits and RBIs were possible. A walk was possible, he walked a lot. And he could srtike out and ground into double plays. With a winning or tying run at second base late in a game, I'd pick Yaz to hit over Schmidt every time, regardless the pitcher.

So...

1- a tie, Pujols or Maddux
3- Yaz
4- B Robinson