View Single Post
Old 01-01-2015, 09:14 AM
Jay Shelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Many collectors do like the third party grading, and I guess for some, that would make collecting late 1980s cards in top graded condition a collectible challenge (whereas otherwise not for raw cards of that era). I have never used TPG; guess I'm old school and prefer to put my cards in plastic sheets and look through them from time-to-time.

raw cards are fine for the 1980s ....its just if you plan on selling them expect to be frustrated as more and more buyers that spend the bigger money expect to buy graded cards...its just a fact...the plus side of buying raw cards is that they are very cheap..the negative is they sell for cheap.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I quit collecting "modern" cards about 1984, started back in 1990, and currently have nothing in my collection past 1982 Donuss set. If I get anything more modern, it would be the 1983 Fleer set (which would be the stopping point for my collection), as I thought it a good looking set back in the day. I sold my 1985-1990 sets back in the early 1990s before the "bubble" burst. Happy collecting!