View Single Post
Old 01-29-2022, 11:25 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnphotoman View Post
Hi, everyone, What makes baseball cards and photos-vintage? Mostly interested in the classification for photos, but knowing when they are to be called vintage would help. I have heard people say, anything at least 20 years and older is called vintage. Thanks, John Forget to ask, what makes a photo, bb card- valuable?... If there vintage?
Think it can vary by person. You ask a 65 year old what is vintage, it's one thing. Ask a 25- 30 year old, they'll say something entirely different, like maybe anything before they were born.

For me, I guess I'm more influenced by the old SCD catalogs, and consider vintage as pre-1981, when Donruss and Fleer started offering baseball cards alongside Topps and brought on what is known as the modern junk card era. That is the same break point Krause/SCD used in deciding what they considered as modern and vintage when producing their catalogs.

I don't think anyone would argue that pre-war (WWII) is most definitely vintage. At least no one is using the term "antique", well, at least not among people in the hobby itself. Had always thought of the cutoff for an antique as being at least 100 years old, an age which a large part of what many of us collect has now crossed..