View Single Post
Old 06-20-2020, 08:07 AM
Alan Strout

Default Orioles board game cards

First of all, thanks to everyone that commented on my post yesterday. I am very happy how the rooms came out and it's nice to be able to enjoy more of my collection, instead of having stuff packed in boxes.

Like most of you, as a kid, some friends and I were into baseball board games. After trying to develop our own dice games, we discovered Strat-O-Matic games. We spent countless hours drafting teams and playing games.

The cards themselves aren't all that attractive, but were supposed to be based upon the player's actual stats, which was cool for a kid. Cards that say 1968 batting record are actually the 1969 set, as cards were based on the previous years statistics. The early cards are blank backed, but in the early 70's Strat-O-Matic added an advanced version that was printed on the back.

Strat-O-Matic Game cards

Here are a few examples of Brooks Robinson's cards. Unfortunately, I started playing near the end of his career.

SCAN8595.JPG SCAN8596.JPG
SCAN8597.JPG SCAN8598.JPG
SCAN8599.JPG SCAN8600.JPG

Several attempts over the years have been made to rekindle my interest and perhaps my sons, but neither attempt lasted very long. A couple sets that include Cal Ripken Jr.

SCAN8601.jpg

SCAN8602.jpg

1972 Sports Illustrated Game

Sports Illustrated produced a game in 1972 that caught my eye for a year, but I always seems to go back to the Strat-O-Matic game.

1972 Sports Illustrated Orioles team sheet

DSCN2414.jpg DSCN2415.jpg

Cadaco Game Discs

The last set today are the Cadaco game discs. This game involved a spinner instead of dice. I never played it, but did pick up a few discs once they added pictures.

1989 Cal Ripken Jr Cadaco Disc

SCAN8605.JPG SCAN8606.JPG

2003 Jim Palmer and Brooks Robinson Discs

SCAN8603.JPG SCAN8604.JPG