View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Default As I'm now working in a shop

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I spent way more time than money at a shop in the mid 70s, because I only knew (what now seems like) a little about baseball, and essentially nothing about cards. And there were cards there. Pre-war cards, and lots of them.

But actually, what I bought there that started this quest for me was the dealer's old Sports Collectors Bible. He wanted the new one, and I got the old one real cheap. And boy, did that open my eyes. It gave me the big picture of what is out here, and a handle on costs.

I remember the Becketts in the early 80s too. No matter when it was, costs in relation to my available money remained high until the kids went out on their own. So although those are thought of as the real bargain years, I did not get much of that pie. Only the "must haves" (probably less than $500. worth by the mid 80s).

There is a set in the '75 SCB that I've often wondered about: F-111 Otto's Milk. Honus Wagner is the only card listed. I never came across an update, nor saw any of the cards from that set. And I don't even know when it was issued. - Wait, Im getting a bit off the track here.

Good Luck, Rich