Thread: (S)nodgrass
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Default (S)nodgrass

Posted By: Dylan

I also shy away from these "variations." These cards that have, for example, a letter or an apostrophe missing just seem like it would be too easy to alter for someone to be comfortable spending a large premium. Even if I were certain it was legit, I think its ridiculous to spend obscene amounts of money on cards like this. A rare advertisement back, or a rare team designation(like the T206 Doyle) is one thing, but paying huge amounts of money for a card with a printing flaw?? These cards don't even warrent being called legitimate alterations. The amount people are willing to spend on Mitchell "toront" or "no B" Sweeney amaze me. Even funnier is the ridiculous money for the "Murr'y"(over $8,000 for an SGC50 at REA!) and "Shappe"(also sells for thousands) where a partial part of the letter is left. Shouldn't Murr'y and Shappe sell for less since their whole letter isn't missing, only some of it It's speculated that all of these cards came to be by the same means...a broken printing plate or via ink being blocked by some particles and subsequently being unable to fully print on the cardboard. That to me is a minor curiousity, a novelty, nothing more, anyone else feel this way?