View Single Post
Old 01-20-2023, 02:06 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnilgis View Post
I have fallen into a wormhole and have hardly been able to breathe. has anyone else gotten into this?

If you haven't, you really should look into it - your mind will explode, or melt

I have been finding the ability to create basic code and get it deployed as the most valuable to me so far, but the possibilities, endless

prepare for your lives to become fully immersed in ai - soon

dnilgis
OMG - My older son was just telling me about this ChatGPT last weekend, and was going on and on about it. After a little research on my own, I find that it basically draws from data that is not necessarily from vetted online data and sites, is still in somewhat of a testing phase, wants you to allow them some access or something to your computer (not exactly sure what that meant or means), often you get all kinds of stories, essays and writings about topics, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are at all accurate or make any sense, the NY City School District I believe has already banned its use and access by teachers and students (they're concerned students will simply have the AI write papers and essays for them and the students will end up actually learning nothing), and the one thing I read concerning AI like this was that if you have an infinite number of monkeys, you'll eventually get them to give you Shakespeare. So, think of this AI as the million monkeys, and maybe not try holding your breath waiting for them to finally produce Shakespeare for you.

Now I don't understand, nor have any need myself, to do computer coding or such like that, which is apparently one of the things this AI is supposed to be good at. But let me tell you a real world story why crap like this is not always so good. When I passed the CPA exam and started working in one of the "Big Eight" accounting firms back in the '70s, we did all the tax returns pretty much by hand then. So, we had to understand and learn the rules, nuances, and idiosyncrasies of the tax code, actually calculate the math and formulas to figure things out using ten-key adding machines and pencil and paper, and apply that across all the different areas of a person's or business' tax returns. Fast forward years later to how tax programs are the thing everyone now uses, even in pretty much all the tax and accounting firms around the world. I, and other veteran CPAs like myself, would have the newer, younger hires that also went to and graduated college, sat and passed for the CPA exam, and were often smart as hell, that were working under us, and we would review their tax work before finalizing things to then send and file for our clients. My older colleagues and I that had started out actually doing taxes by hand would also laugh and say we wish we had a dollar for every time we got a tax software generated return to review from one of our young charges, and just took one look at it and almost immediately said to the preparer, I'm not 100% sure what, but something is wrong. They would invariably look at us with this sort of dear-in-the-headlights gaze and tell us, well that is what the computer came up with!!! The problem is, these kids, as we called them, never learned taxes, they just learned the software, and where to plug in the numbers. Even today, tax software has gotten to the point where many places don't even type in W-2 and 1099 type info. They simply scan the forms clients would give us into the system with no real human review or involvement. Problem is, software, and humans, still make lots of mistakes. My older colleagues and I had done enough returns over the decades that we knew what was going on, and the tax software was just a tool we could use to do things faster. But the younger people coming up didn't really learn taxes, they just learned the tax software and where they thought the numbers should go. They didn't even know what they didn't know, so thank God us old farts were around to catch things and tell them how to find and correct all the errors. And that is exactly why relying upon programs and stuff like these AI programs and aids isn't always the best and smartest things to go to and have everybody start relying on. At some point all the true, old-time experts that actually know what they're doing are gone, and if after that point the technology ever fails or falters, good luck trying to fix things when the tools that would normally be used to fix things are broken themselves, and now there's really no one left around that knows how to fix or rebuild those tools, or WTF they're really doing.

Last edited by BobC; 01-20-2023 at 02:07 AM.