View Single Post
Old 04-21-2024, 09:09 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenick View Post
I think Charles's list points out the problem. There are a lot of very good players who were better (at least statistically) than a specific player that is in the Hall.

Wilbur Cooper and Rube Marquard pitched at roughly the same time but Cooper (216-178, 2.89 ERA, 116 ERA+, 93rd ranked starter on Baseball Reference) was by any measure better than Marquard (201-177, 3.08 ERA, 103 ERA+, 252nd ranked starter).

The problem is, Marquard is an easy target because there are literally hundreds of non-HOFers better than Marquard and they're not all getting in. But Marquard pitched in NY, was the “$11,000 lemon", then won 19 games in a row and became a star on pennant-winning teams while Wilbur Cooper was less well-known. And I don't think the VC was doing advanced statistically analysis in 1971 when Marquard got in...it seemed to depend on who was on the committee and if there was some reason a player was still remembered.

So I am all for bringing these players to light and I will even add one I don't think is usually mentioned: Cupid Childs. But in all likelihood very few (if any) of these players will be getting in.
I think the majority of the people on my list probably do not belong in the HOF. I just think they should be in the discussion.