View Single Post
Old 02-14-2022, 09:36 PM
Drew

I signed up just to respond to this. Even though it's six months old now.

Brandon Phillips, Keith Hernandez, Jeremy Guthrie, and Oddibe McDowell won't sign Indians items; or at least wouldn't for a long time. Hernandez will at shows and signings but charges extra. Guthrie would often sign but write in "Go O's!" or "Go Royals!" or whoever he was with at the time.
Tommy Gregg won't sign Braves items.
Greg Deichmann won't sign his 2018 Bowman Draft since it shows Kevin Merrill (Merrill will sign it, however)
Tim Bogar's 1993 Stadium Club card depicts Aaron Ledesma. Bogar will sign the back though.
Andy Hawkins stopped signing Fleer cards at some point. They can still be found somewhat easily though.
Scott Radinsky will not sign his Jewish Major Leaguers card because he is not Jewish. I want to get him on a Ten Foot Pole album.
Steve Busby will sign his 1975 Topps card (shows Fran Healy) but writes "NOT MY PICTURE" or something of the sort on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
I was at a signing featuring Don Sutton, and I offered him his rookie card to sign. He signed it, but as he did he said "I always hated this card!" (I guess because his ears stick out so prominently), as he signed right across his face. It was like he was intentionally defacing the card.
He had issues with a LOT of his early career cards and not liking his ears on them and would sign over his face on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecoco View Post
Was there a time in the 1980s when certain players would not sign any Topps cards because of the affiliation with Garbage Pail Kids?
Glenn Davis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
I also was told by Dave Stewart that he wouldn't sign Rangers or Phillies cards. This was at a signing at a minor league ballpark before the game. He was actually very nice and apologetic about it. I figured it was because he didn't care for how he was treated by the team, but I didn't ask him exactly why he wouldn't. He willingly signed anything and everything else I had. However, I have seen signed cards from those teams for sale online, so maybe it was more recent thing?
He did have a rather infamous arrest as a Ranger, and I heard he just didn't want to be reminded of that and his time with them.

I know of more hockey ones than baseball but given time I'm sure I could think of more to add to the list. I may eventually put a list on my site of cards players won't sign in every sport.

Last edited by DFWGrapher; 02-14-2022 at 09:46 PM.