View Single Post
Old 08-19-2015, 09:21 PM
David Kathman

Default What's the highest-graded card you've cracked out of a slab?

As I've mentioned on here before, I'm basically a raw card guy. I have more options for displaying them, including plastic pages; I'm much more concerned with eye appeal than with technical grades; raw cards tend to be cheaper (sometimes significantly so), which is good from my perspective because I don't plan to sell any of my cards in the foreseeable future, though I know that I can always get cards graded if I do eventually want to sell them.

Nevertheless, like any active collector of vintage cards, I have accumulated some graded cards, and like many of you, I've cracked a few cards out of their slabs. These have mostly been low-grade (SGC 10 or A) T206s that bought graded but wanted to integrate into all my raw T206s. I figure being in a slab isn't going to do such cards much good anyway, in terms of either protecting them physically or enhancing their value. My most valuable T206s, including some in pretty decent condition, are all raw, mostly bought years ago when graded cards weren't quite so ubiquitous. If I got a really valuable T206 (or other T card) today, I assume it would probably be slabbed, and I'm pretty sure I would keep it there for protection.

I know there are other aficionados of raw T and E cards on this board, and I know some of you have posted about cracking graded cards to put them in plastic sheets or otherwise add them to your other raw cards. For those of you who fit that description, what is the highest-graded card you've cracked out of a slab? Is there some grade above which you would never crack a card? Similarly, what is the most valuable card you've cracked out? I remember seeing a post a while back where somebody mentioned cracking out a Cobb and putting it in his plastic pages.