View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 07:01 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Back in 1970, my best friend's father bought and sold baseball cards. I told her that I still have all my cards from the mid 50's to early 60's (included many Mantle & Maris cards, since I was a big fan of them). There were over 1,000 cards. In addition, I had scorecards from Yankee & Met games, all their yearbooks, and many other publications.
She said that her father would like to come over and see my collection. Well, he came over and told me my whole collection was worth $250. Since his daughter was my best friend at the time, I trusted whatever he said. He offered to buy the whole collection on the spot and I said yes.
Shortly after this transaction, I heard that there was a card show at the local mall. Since, I never went to a card show before, I thought this would be cool to check out. There were about a dozen tables set up. Guess who had a table?
Yes, it was my friend's father who bought my collection. I went over to take a look and see what he was selling. The first thing I saw were all of my yearbooks. He had price tags on some of the yearbooks for as high as $250. I also saw many of my cards (recognized them due to tape and damage on some of them). He had high price tags on those also but I don't remember what the prices were.
I don't know whether he actually got any of those prices but I do know that he ripped me off big time.
That was my first card show and it certainly left a bad taste in my mouth. Almost 50 years later, I am still pissed off.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard