View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 02:04 PM
Dave Johnson

I can’t remember the specific first show but my first venture into getting cards at a “show” was at the monthly Pershing Flea Market in Lincoln NE. (this would have been in the 1982-1985 range). This is where my hard earned lawn mowing money met its demise.

Most were guys that just were collectors and did stuff out of their homes and likely also set up at some shows as well. I remember one guy that had a bunch of complete sets (most were newer) he must have opened a ton of new product. I remember seeing 9 pocket pages full of Mantle cards from the 50’s and 60’s from another guy. He wanted to have Mantles. I was a Yaz collector in my lawn mowing days and I remember trading him a 66 Mantle for a 61,64,65,66 and 68 Yaz and thought that was a fantastic trade at the time. If memory serves me correct the high price guide value on the Mantle at the time was like $15 or $20.

Beckett Magazine first coming out, and being excited to be able to pick up Baseball Card News and Baseball Cards Magazine (which the only place I could find those at the time was at this flea market.) Perez Steele postcards being a big rage.

I remember one guy that was always set up on the middle of the West side – he hand binders full of T205’s , and T206’s , Mecca Double Folders, other older tobacco issues. I likely did not look at them too close because at the time, it was not important to me……I was too caught up in getting my Yaz collection completed and picking up cards of Mays and Aaron. If I only had spent more money on the older cards and not an 84 Fleer Set or those 83 Action All Stars!