View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 01:37 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

The first card show I remember going to was the Greater Boston Show in probably 1991. At the time I was collecting football cards, no baseball, with my two sons. I had gone up to the Boston area with a curling team to compete in a local bonspiel. We had the afternoon off and one of the guys on the team, Ed Morley, who was a big Detroit (and Old Judge) collector and wanted to go to the show, so I tagged along. I remember that he dragged me over to a table that had a lot of Old Judges and told me I should consider buying some of them. My first reaction was, after my experience with all the colorful football cards, that they were really ugly. I did not buy any at the time. However, I guess that subliminally I was bitten and that show had a significant impact on my life thereafter.
I also remember a White Plains show where Ron Vitro sold me a group of ten Old Judge HOF cabinets. Ron at that time used to have great 19th century material. For those who don’t know Ron he is also one of the nicest guys anywhere.