View Single Post
Old 02-10-2016, 10:06 PM
Tony Gordon

In 1978, I was 12, subscribed to SCD and was a card-carrying member of the Chicagoland Sports Collectors Association (long defunct). At the time, the CSCA put on three shows a year at a Holiday Inn in Hillside, Illinois. There was always a free autograph guest like a Minnie Minoso or an Orlando Cepeda. As soon as we got there, I would split from my dad who would spend the day in the dime boxes purchasing piles of Gene Woodlings and Walt Dropos. I would look for a card to get signed and get an auto. I would then purchase a few 8 and 9 pocket sheets and try and fill them with HOFers and stars from the 40 bucks my dad would give me. The room was always packed and it was tough to get at the tables. Cards were CHEAP back then. I always went home with a few Clementes and Aarons. After the show, we would drive to Downtown Chicago where my dad worked. On the drive he would tell me about the players he purchased, having seen them all when he was a beer vendor at both Wrigley and Comiskey from 1952 to 1962. The only drawback was I would have to spend hours sitting in my dad's office after the show while he worked all afternoon.