View Single Post
Old 12-07-2020, 04:18 PM
Alan Elefson

Great items Ted and Patrick! I especially like the PCL ball but it is cool to see both of your highlights. I had what I consider my best year ever, collecting wise. The odd thing is, 90% of my collection comes from antique stores, antique shows, and flea markets. Even though the pandemic significantly curtailed my antiquing (no Brimfield!), the quality of the items I found more than made up for the lack of quantity. Since March I have acquired the following items via antique shopping:

Full size lemon peel ball
1871 Trophy ball
Possible seamless type lemon peel ball
1843 Boys and Girls Book of Sports with small base ball section
1856 bound volume of New York Clipper newspaper with lots of baseball content.
Five Peck and Snyder trade cards from the 1880s
Walter Johnson store model glove (youth model but still happy to own it)
Big Run cigar box with Buck Ewing, Buffalo Bill, and other small portraits
Possible salesman sample mini Reach mushroom bat
Several early bats (pre 1900)

I also made a few purchases with the help of fellow board member bgar (Bruce) and those included an 1836 book that has the same illustration of baseball as the Carver book, and an 1840s notebook with the same baseball scene on the cover. Bruce has been instrumental in helping me reshape my collection via his information and a few trades we did. I wouldn't have much of a pre 1860s baseball ephemera collection without his help.

Other board members (soxinseven, bigfish, huysman, mghpro, kjavic and others) have helped me also with information, encouragement, and also by buying some of my other items so I could afford to obtain all of the above.

I am still amazed at what can be found antique shopping!

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 031.jpg (40.5 KB, 696 views)
File Type: jpg 035.jpg (61.1 KB, 703 views)
File Type: jpg 025.jpg (67.6 KB, 703 views)
File Type: jpg 010.jpg (67.0 KB, 701 views)
File Type: jpg 034.jpg (67.6 KB, 704 views)
File Type: jpg 064.jpg (40.1 KB, 691 views)